(Note from GGS: Yes, we are a website dedicated to helping you live your best and healthiest lifestyle, and if you’re anything like us, your best and healthiest lifestyle includes a few treats every now and then. Thanks to our good friend Sirena Bernal, you’ll now have 3 awesome desserts that you can make in 10 minutes or less, and they are gluten-free. Yippee!) Take it away, Sirena!
In 2008 I started working with a naturopathic doctor to help me sort through digestive issues I was experiencing, and she recommended that I start with a gluten-free diet. Back then eating a gluten-free diet was not the mainstream health trend it is today as it was still a bit “underground”.
Fast-forward 5 years, and 4.2 billion dollars later (what the gluten-free industry is raking in these days) and you can’t walk into a grocery store, bookstore, or magazine without seeing something labeled gluten-free.
That being said, shall you decide to embark on a gluten-diet, it’s tempting (oh, trust me I know) to go to Whole Foods and pick up a package of gluten-free Oreo’s or Snickerdoodles, because well, they’re gluten-free and that’s ya’ know, that’s supposed to be healthy for you.
However, being the purist that I am, I always loved messing around in the kitchen and concocting my own gluten-free desserts to indulge on. Today, I’m sharing with you 3 of my favorites which are ready to eat in less than 10 minutes, and like, they’re super delicious.
(Note from GGS: Keep in mind that even though they are gluten-free, they are still desserts. They are meant to be enjoyed and experienced, and you should never feel guilty eating them. Just make sure than 80-90% of your diet comes from whole, unprocessed, low-sugar foods).
Plantains with Chocolate Sauce
- 1 ripe plantain (don’t be alarmed if the skin is black, that just means that it’s ready to use)
- 1 tbs. coconut oil (for frying plantain)
- 2 tbs. coconut oil (for chocolate sauce)
- 4 tbs. organic Grade B maple syrup
- 1 tbs. raw, organic cacao
- Peel the plantain and cut the plantain at an angle in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Warm-up a skillet on medium to medium-high heat and add 1 tbs of coconut oil.
- When the pan is hot, gently place the plantain slices evenly across the the skillet.
- Cook the first side until they are a crispy, dark golden brown and flip over, about 2-3 minutes.
- Gently flip over the plantains to check the other side, and remove the plantains from the skillet once both sides are a nice, warm, golden-brown.
Chocolate Sauce Directions:
- Slowly warm up 2 tbs. of coconut oil over LOW heat in a saucepan.
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add the 4 tbs. of maple syrup and stir.
- Slowly whisk in the 1 tbs. of raw cacao and remove from the heat once you get a smooth, thin consistency.
- Plate the plantains and drizzle the chocolate sauce over the plantains.
- Sit back, kick your feet up and ENJOY!
No Bake Chocolate Macaroons
- 1 cup organic coconut flakes
- ½ cup organic shredded coconut
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- 2 tbs. melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup hydrolyzed gelatin-Great Lakes Gelatin powder**
**Instead of gelatin, you can substitute ¼ cup of your favorite protein powder**
- In a large glass or stainless steel mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Easy.
- Melt the 2 tbs. of coconut oil and mix in the maple syrup for about 3.7 seconds.
- Combine the oil and maple syrup liquid with the dry ingredients and fold together with a spatula. Very easy.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes so that it cools down and hardens a bit.
- Form 1” sized macaroon balls (ha) and place on a cookie sheet or in a glass container.
- Place back in the fridge for another 30 minutes, or as long as you can possibly wait, whichever one happens first.
- Eat and enjoy. The easiest step.
Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream (OMG)
**Warning: This recipe is highly addictive. If you are monitoring your calories for physique goals, be mindful that this is a calorie dense dessert**
- 2 cups of strawberries cut in quartered
- 1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbs. powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- A few pinches of raw cacao powder
- Pour 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream into a glass bowl. For the best whipping cream, you want to use it immediately from taking it out of the refrigerator. Warm cream will not fluff – I’ve made this mistake.
- Using an electric mixer beat the heavy cream until you the cream forms stiff peaks form when you pull the metal attachments out of the bowl. Caution: If you mix it too much, you’ll end up with butter, which we love, but not on top of your strawberries.
- Using a spatula, incorporate the 2 tbs. powdered sugar and ¼ tsp. vanilla extract.
- Lick the spatula before putting it in the sink.
- Serve over the strawberries, and sprinkle the raw cacao on top for extra zing.
Author bio: Sirena Bernal brings her unique approach to the fitness industry combining her years in athletics and nutrition coaching with a deep passion for energy healing.
She has been a trainer and coach for the last 9 years training clients out of Boston, MA as well as serving online coaching clients across the United States, Australia, and Europe.
Her personal journey of healing severe digestive issues, anxiety, depression and weight gain, set her on a mission to help other women develop inner strength through health and fitness.
Anything is possible in life when we are strong in our mind, in our body and in our spirit, and this belief is the driving force of her coaching philosophy.